Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Facebook for the Thoughtless

Today I was on my Facebook profile page dinking around like usual (I'm unemployed - don't judge). You know how your Profile page shows about 5 or 6 of your friends and their profile pictures? I've actually never figured out why they do that - to remind you that you do actually have friends and, since you pretty much only communicate via electronic methods these days, to remind you what they look like? Anyway, one of my "hey, this is what your friends look like" profile pictures was an acquaintance whose profile I haven't seen in awhile. She was using a rather lovely wedding photo for her profile picture. She is an acquaintance from a graduate school ward and I didn't know her terribly well, although I'd heard she was getting married last year. For whatever reason, I decided today was just the day to post a very, very belated and generic congratulations. Right after posting my pathetic offering I noticed a block of text right under her profile. In short, she and her husband were married September 2008 and he passed away January 2009 from a heart condition and, I noticed, their 1-year anniversary is in just a few days. Smooth, Micah. Real smooth. I hurriedly removed the comment from her Wall, hoping she won't have to suffer from my insensitivity. However. . . if Facebook send you emails when someone posts on your Wall, I think the emails are sent immediately - I don't think Facebook factors in a brief delay for the thoughtless and stupid. Wish they would.

My mortification aside, I feel just terribly for this acquaintance. She got married when they were both in her 30s (a first marriage for both, I think). Weddings are always joyful and exciting, of course, but given that for Mormons marrying when you are "older" means 24, I'm sure their wedding was a particularly exciting and joyful event for both of them. Then to lose a spouse after just 3 short months - I'm not even sure how to process all of that.

1 comment:

Elder Ernest Elliott said...

Something I would do for sure :)