Fanny Farmer Doesn't Live Here
I volunteer with Big Brother Big Sister, and my "little sister" is Alexa, the world's most adorable 7-year-old. She has dark, super curly hair, no front teeth, and often punctuates her walking with energetic skips. We generally have an activity about 3-4 times a month, and she usually chooses. She has grown fond of my house and likes to spend time there watering my dying plants, swimming, and banging on the piano. This week she wanted to make "the kind of cookies you cut into shapes," which I assume meant sugar cookies. I have to admit, when she said that my heart dropped a little bit. Why? I really hate baking. Really. I pretended to like baking for awhile, just like I pretended to like jogging. I finally decided to be a little more honest and admit that I am no Fanny Farmer (and really don't want to be), so I gave up my futile attempts at baking. Although I am quite fond of cooking, I just don't find much enjoyment in baking. Baking requires so much precision and I find it stifling. I prefer the artistic freedom allowed by cooking. If you don't have an ingredient, you can usually leave it out or substitute, and you never have to measure anything. Or maybe what I call "artistic freedom" is just a ruse for laziness. :)
I sucked it up, scoured the internet for a good sugar cookie and frosting recipe, and purchased the ingredients and necessary implements (because pretty much no one I know here in Phoenix just had cookie cutters just laying around). Alexa and I spent several hours on Friday mixing and rolling and frosting, and actually had a pretty good time. Below is a list of things I learned about baking with a 7 year-old:
1. No matter what the recipe says, double the preparation time.
2. The smaller the cookie cutter the more cookies you get - and the more cookies you have to frost.
3. Egg shell shards can be fished out of batter pretty easily. Just make sure you get them all.
4. White frosting is not very exciting.
5. If your frosting recipe calls for 4 cups of powdered sugar, seriously consider halving the recipe. Trust me.
6. Sprinkles rock.
7. Baking with 2 people is definitely better than with 1.
8. I still prefer to cook.
New Do
I got my hair cut on Friday. I went to a new guy (one of the 3 straight male hairdressers in Phoenix) for a cut, which can be pretty frightening. I told him what I wanted . . . and I didn't get it (of course). What I got looks a lot like of Jennifer Aniston circa 1996, only shorter. It took a bit to get used to, but I actually like it now. Between the new glasses, the new do, and my lovely new blouse (thanks, Target!), today at church I felt like a totally new woman! I don't have a picture right now, but I will post one later in the week.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hey, baking still sounds funner than going on dates with guys in tapered jeans. even if there's shell in the batter. :-) yeah, post a pic, can't wait to see your jen aniston looks!!!
Post a Comment