So tonight when I should have been getting ready for bed, I decided to make lemon curd instead. (Clearly a better use of time!)
Making this recipe was more an exercise in curiosity rather than an expectation, but I think I may have hit on an excellent (albeit occasional) staple. Just the term "lemon curd" sounds a bit fussy and impractical, but it really was quite simple. The recipe just calls for egg yolks, sugar, and lemons - things I almost always have on hand. Yes, the amounts of said ingredients are a bit off-putting at first, but it tastes dang amazing (although pretty much anything does if you put enough butter in it!). I found myself eating the last bits right out of the pan with a spoon, and then scraping down pan with a rubber spatula to get at the very last spoonful. It is that good. (I may even have snitched a few spoonfuls out of the jar. . . because that is how I roll).

A few thoughts:
- The curd is a bit on the lemon-y side, and although I quite like it that way, you might consider slightly reducing the amount of lemon juice if you prefer things less tart.
- The recipe also suggests straining the curd after it is done. I normally get annoyed by and skip these types of steps. I tend to see them as overly fussy (for example, I don't think I've EVER mixed my dry and wet ingredients separately), however I decided to strain this curd on a whim and I'm glad I did. There was a noticeable difference between the strained curd and the curd I sampled (I mean. . .cleaned out) from the pan (ahem).
- I haven't quite decided how I'm going to use this jar of heaven, although it will likely end up on ice cream or over some breakfast food goodness, but I think it would be outstanding in a trifle. I'll let you know what I decide.
- Once raspberries are in season, I'd love folding raspberry puree into it (like this version.) I think it would also be very tasty with a mixed berry puree, or with other citrus juices (like lime or grapefruit).
Happy cooking!
3 comments:
I love, LOVE, love lemon curd! I'll be attempting this....
Mmmmm that sounds so yummy! just grab some phyllo dough and make some cute little tart shells!
Let me know how the tarts turn out!!!
Post a Comment