I pretty much never watch Saturday Night Live because most of the time I find it (1) terribly crude and (2) terribly unfunny. That said, occasionally their sketches (usually political or current events-related) hit dead center. Take, for example, Tina Fey's remarkable and brilliant Sarah Palin impersonation. Regardless of your feelings for Sarah "Going Rogue" Palin, it's pretty clear that SNL had had a pretty direct effect on our collective popular opinion of her. I'm pretty sure most people remember "I can see Russia from my house!" more than anything she actually said. Check this out:
With that in mind, I found this week's "Really??? With Seth and Amy" terribly entertaining and quite spot-on. You must watch it. I will not negotiate on this point.
If you need a little background context, read this the remainder of this paragraph: Large financial firms, such as Lehman Brothers and Goldman Sachs and AIG, to name a few, played a not-insignificant role in the financial melt-down/crisis/fiasco over the past few years. In addition to taking government bail-out money and, in a few cases, using said money to pay large bonuses to high-level executives, several of these large firms plan on giving out record-high bonuses this year. Of course, one could argue all day about the merits, or lack thereof, of record-high year-end bonuses. The point is, given these financial firms' somewhat less than sparkling reputations right now, it seems pretty thoughtless to be doing anything at this point that smacks of elitism. All it does is give the public one more reason to sharpen their pitchforks and prepare their effigies. Just sayin'.
I know this next video has nothing to do with anything, but for some reason, I can't seem get enough of embedding Hulu videos and SNL. It's really funny, so do yourself a favor and check it out.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment