About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I was laid off from my job. I work for the State of Arizona and, like every other state in the Union, our budget has been in pretty bad shape. We knew our office would have to make some decisions about how to reduce our budget so the staff has been waiting on pins and needles since the beginning of the year to hear what decisions the office would make. In short, they decided the best way to address budget shortfalls for the next few years (including this fiscal year) was to make deep cuts early on. After waiting for so long to hear what they were going to do, it was particularly difficult to learn that I was on the "chopping block." Fortunately, I can still work until April 17th so I've been working really hard to get my resume put together and into the community. After I first found out I was a total wreck and ended up in Las Vegas and Virginia for the weekend (long story, don't ask), but now that things are settling down, I actually feel okay about the situation. I don't think my current job has been a great fit for me and I've never been completely happy. I'm trying to view this as an opportunity to gracefully exit my current field and enter another. For the past few months I've actually felt really antsy, like something in my life was going to change. It wasn't foreboding or dread, but more like Tony from West Side Story - "something's coming, I don't know what it is, but it is". . . etc. I really feel like things will work out for the best and that I'll end up with something that better suits me. But come April 17th, I'm going to have a lot more free time on my hands! :)

1 comment:
Good Luck!! You'll do great no matter what it is. We all deserve to go a little nuts when things like this happen, so don't feel bad for skipping out for the weekend! You'll be blessed with many opportunities I'm sure!
Post a Comment