A few weeks ago I found a recipe for spicy almonds. I thought they looked pretty good, so I decided to make them as party of my holiday "baking" extravaganza. This recipe is amazing! The nuts are so good, my roommate and I could hardly stop eating them and I had to make another batch. So I decided to share the love. If you don't have some of the spices (such as ground coriander), some health food stores sell spices in bulk, meaning you can purchase as much or as little as you would like. That way, you don't have to plunk down $3 or $4 for a whole jar when you only need less than 1 teaspoon. Here is the recipe, courtesy of the Martha Stewart Holiday magazine. Trust me, this is fabulous. Enjoy!
Spicy Almonds
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 cups whole almonds (about 10 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread almonds on baking sheet at toast in oven for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (until browned and slightly dark).
2. In large bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and spices.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, bring butter, molasses, and vinegar to a boil. Add
toasted almonds and stir to evenly coat. Add nut mixture to spice mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
4. Bake nuts 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks (assuming, of course, they last that long!).
Friday, December 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
sounds fab... wait, what's molasses? :-)
Molasses is a thick syrupy stuff you sometimes use in baking. Here is the wikipedia page where you can learn more about molasses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses. The molasses coats the almonds so the spices will stick to them. They are seriously SOOOOO good! :)
Post a Comment